Follow us on Facebook to keep abreast of the news!
- On Saturday 3 December, International Day of Persons with Disabilities (IDPD), we are delighted to announce the release of ‘Access in Museums in South Asia: Learning from the Commonwealth Association of Museums’ Regional Workshop 2016, in partnership with the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum Trust’. Edited by Mrinalini Venkateswaran, Catherine C Cole and Giles Tillotson, the publication is the outcome of a collaborative workshop on ‘Access in Museums in South Asia’ that was held in the City Palace in Jaipur in March 2016, which brought together a variety of museum and heritage professionals. The publication is supported by a special projects grant from the International Council of Museums (ICOM). It includes the ‘Jaipur Declaration on Access to Museums’ which was first issued at the end of the workshop, and practical advice and suggestions on how to become more inclusive as a museum professional and institution, and is intended as a resource to use as well as build upon. This is the English edition; the French edition will follow shortly, and we hope to produce a Hindi edition in due course as well. It can be freely downloaded from here.
- We celebrated the birthday of Maharaja Sawai Pratap Singh on 2nd December with day-long activities. Follow us on Facebook to find out when the next event is!
- We are thrilled to have eminent scholars from India and the world visit us to research our collections as part of their work. We’ve decided to start an Object of the Week posting, and when possible, we’ll get our distinguished visitors to make their pick. Follow us on Facebook to catch the posts!
- The highlight of this month is the Sawai Jaipur Awards, held on 22nd, honouring excellence and contributions to society. Check on our Awards page for this year’s list of awardees.
- The military uniforms of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II and Maharaja Sawai Bhawani Singh are now back on display at Jaigarh. We display them only during the winter season for conservation reasons, so make sure you plan your visit before the end of March 2017 to see these unique garments!
- Our new ticketing system has been launched! We’re on trial until the end of this month so that we’re ready for the season, and apologise for any teething troubles. We’ve introduced a new ticket structure with greater options for visitors to choose from at varied price points. Your visit to the Royal Jaipur attractions helps maintain them for everyone, so thank you for your support and patronage.
- The website is now live! Please follow us on Facebook and let us know what you think.
- We’ve just launched a series of art prints and postcards with images from the Painting and Photography gallery! They’re available at the Museum Shop, so stop by soon!
- 105th birthday celebrations of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II on 21st August, 2016 at Ram Niwas Bagh at 7.30 am. All are welcome!
- Our second fire drill this year is being held on 30th July. We are committed to improving our safety and security preparedness, so please bear with us if there’s any inconvenience as a result!
- Birthday celebrations of Maharaj Sawai Padmanabh Singh on 12th July. The City Palace will remain closed to the public. We apologise for the inconvenience.
- Gallery talk on Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh II and Photography in the 19th Century by Mrinalini Venkateswaran, co-curator of the exhibition, at 5.00 pm on 30th June, 2016. All are welcome.
- 20th May – 21st June – Arts Internship Summer Camp.
- 20th May – 21st June – Arts Internship Summer Camp. Register now!
- On the occasion of World Museum Day, a gallery talk on Simplification in Miniature Paintings by Shefalika Awasthi, Curator, at 5.00 pm on 18th May, 2016. All are welcome.
- Our first fire drill is scheduled for 2nd May 2016 at 2 pm. We apologise for any inconvenience, but we’re doing this for the safety of collections, buildings, visitors and staff.
- Museum summer internship applications open! (closed in May 2016)
- National Classical Performing Arts Festival from 5-7 April at the Sarvato Bhadra from 6.30-8.30 pm each day. A collaboration between the Gunijankhana, Jaipur Citizen Forum, and Jagriti; sponsored by the Department of Art and Culture, Government of Rajasthan. All are welcome!
- We hosted a workshop on ‘Access in Museums in South Asia’ in partnership with the Commonwealth Association of Museums and ICOMOS India from 25-28 March 2016, with a post-workshop tour to Nagaur and Jodhpur in collaboration with the Mehrangarh Museum Trust, Jodhpur.
- The first ever palace museum guidebook in Open Braille is released! We collaborated with Rajasthan Netraheen Kalyan Sangh. A copy is available to view at the Museum Shop, and a text-only copy is available for purchase at the cost price of Rs. 200/-.
- Activity booklets for young visitors aged 9-10, 10-11, 11-12 for the Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II Museum, as well as a special one for the Painting and Photography Gallery!
- Gallery talk on Master Artists at the Jaipur Court by Chief Curator, Pankaj Sharma on 25th March at 5.00 pm. All are welcome!
- Reception at the newly refurbished Baradari Restaurant for TravelPhotoJaipur with a special gallery talk about Photography at Jaipur! Our Consultant Director of Research, Exhibitions and Publications, Dr Giles Tillotson, had earlier presented about our unique collection of photographs by Maharaja Sawai Ram Singh II to the delegates at Jawahar Kala Kendra and participated in a panel discussion with Rahaab Allana.
- Gallery talk by Bess Forrestall, our Outreach Intern from the Commonwealth Association of Museums on Learning Techniques in Indian Art on 23rd February, at 5.00 pm. All are welcome!
- Book Launch at JLF! TWO of our latest publications are out, Painting & Photography at the Jaipur Court edited by Giles Tillotson and Mrinalini Venkateswaran, and Textiles and Garments at the Jaipur Court by Padma Shri Rahul Jain! The full series includes Festivals at the Jaipur Court by Vibhuti Sachdev, and Arms and Armour at the Jaipur Court by Robert Elgood. We had a special session at the JLF with Dr Naman Ahuja, Dr Rosie Lewellyn-Jones, Dr Rima Hooja, Dr Robert Elgood, and Mrinalini Venkateswaran moderated by Dr Giles Tillotson. Watch the session here.
- Dr Giles Tillotson joined Dr Rima Hooja and Dr Shail Mayaram to pay tribute to legendary Rajasthan experts, political scientists from the University of Chicago, Profs Sussanne and Lloyd Rudolph. Watch it here.
- Annual Sawai Jaipur Awards on 28th October 2016.
- Opening of our NEW gallery on Painting and Photography at the Jaipur Court on 27th September, 2015 at 3 pm. All are invited! Watch some coverage by NDTV here.